What does the Africa of your dreams look like? What hopes and dreams do you have? How do you envision the future?
As an African organization serving Africans, the African Development Bank’s dream is to build today a better future for Africa tomorrow. Our goal is to unlock the potential of Africa’s youth. We envision a continent that is dynamic, prosperous and led by the visionary leadership of its largest demographic asset – the youth.
The Bank recognizes the energy, creativity and innovative thinking that many of our youth bring to the table.
Ahead of our Annual Meetings, that will be held on the theme “Accelerating Africa’s Industrialization”, in Busan, Korea, in May 2018, we have launched a writing competition for young Africans aged 20-29.
All you have to do is write an article (no longer than 1,000 words) on the Africa of your dreams, by March 26. Entries can be in English or French, and must be an unpublished journalistic piece, in the media category, or an unpublished essay or creative writing piece, in the general category, related to the contest’s theme, “Accelerating Africa’s Industrialization” and based on any of the following sub-themes:
- Smart Cities and Urban Development
- The Internet of Things
- Agriculture as a Business
- 4th Industrial Revolution
- ICTs and the video game industry
- Inclusive and sustainable industrial development
- Integrating Africa through Entertainment
- Blockchain and cryptocurrency
- The future of entrepreneurship
- Health innovation
Participants must meet ALL of the below requirements:
- Must be 20 years of age, and legally allowed to travel internationally.
- Must hold a valid passport, or be able to obtain one prior to attending the Annual Meetings.
- Must be a citizen of one of the 54 African countries.
- Must not be older than 29 years old as of May 31, 2018 to enter the Contest;
- Entries must be submitted in English or French (the African Development Bank’s official languages).
Young Media Practitioners: Must submit an unpublished piece no longer than 1,000 words, related to the contest’s theme.
Young Contestants: Must submit an essay, article or creative writing piece, no longer than 1,000 words, related to the contest’s theme.
In addition to their submitted pieces, participants will be required to submit a proof of identity – passport, birth certificate or national icard.
Four winners will receive an all-expense paid trip to attend the Korea event. Winners in each category will also take home a laptop computer, and runners-up will get tablets.