The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is a UN organization dedicated to helping people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
Position Title: Project Management Specialist
Vacancy Code: VA/2018/B5104/15800
Partner: Islamic Development Bank (IDB)
Job categories: Project Management
Vacancy code: VA/2018/B5104/15800
Department/office: MR, AMM, Amman
Duration: Fixed Term
The Islamic Development Bank(IDB) is an international Islamic multilateral development financial institution established in 1974 that aims to foster the economic development and social progress of member countries and Muslim communities. The purpose of IDB is to foster the economic development and social progress of member countries and Muslim communities individually as well as jointly in accordance with the principles of Shari’ah i.e., Islamic Law. Being part of IDB, you will work to achieve our mission to promote comprehensive human development, with a focus on the priority areas of alleviating poverty, improving health, promoting education, improving governance and prospering the people.
- Conduct bank’s technical-assistance operations due-diligence and design, conduct day-to-day technical-assistance operations management activities, and conduct day-to-day development-project operations management activities under the guidance of Project Team within approved costs, timeliness and quality, to ensure efficient execution of the bank’s mandate to support economic development in the associated member and non-member countries.
- Responsible for day-to-day communication, monitoring, and implementation support to the project management units and executing agencies; supervision of project contract management and financial management; preparation of implementation reports to the bank management, and proactive mitigation of project implementation issues.
- In addition, provide support in: project preparation and appraisal, portfolio quality review, procurement review, and disbursement processes.
- Contribute to knowledge management agenda by identifying lessons learned from the projects.
- Provide support to the Project Team Leader in the execution of project preparation and appraisal to ensure comprehensive due diligence of the technical, financial, procurement, institutional, economic, social, and environmental aspects of project proposals in line with the operations manual and applicable policies/procedures of the bank.
- Lead technical-assistance operations design and preparation exercise, to ensure comprehensive due diligence of the technical, financial, procurement, institutional, economic, social, and environmental aspects in line with the operations manual and applicable policies/procedures of the bank.
Project Implementation and Monitoring:
- Coordinate with respective Project Team Leader in all aspects across the project implementation.
- Lead periodical preparation of project implementation assessment and support report of each project under his/her portfolio, to ensure implementation issues and proposed action are documented as reference for smooth execution.
- Maintain adequate, up-to-date, and accurate project information and key records in the bank’s operations management system.
- Assess implementation arrangement of Bank’s approved operations, and provide recommendation on bank’s position to relevant authorities.
- Contribute to maintenance of project implementation plans to ensure ongoing monitoring of project progress, pro-active identification of issues, recommendation and implementation of action plans to resolve issues promptly.
- Review implementation quality and progress of Bank’s approved operations, and provide recommendations on actions to improve to relevant authorities.
- Provide input to the relevant Procurement and Financial Management staff in their respective duty ensuring procurement and financial management of projects are in line with the policies of the bank
- Assess contract management and financial management activities of projects, and provide recommendation on bank’s position to relevant authorities.
Project Closure and Review:
- Provide input to Task Team Leader from the Global Practice in the development of project completion reports at the completion of each project, to ensure key issues and lessons learned are documented for reference in future projects.
- Compile input to Sectoral Teams in Global Practices, Knowledge Management and the Institutional Learning Unit to ensure lessons learned are recorded for reference in future projects.
General Project Management:
- Provide input to Project Team Leader regarding the operational cycle of projects to ensure necessary operational policy and procedural improvements are implemented.
- Support Project Team Leader in engaging external expertise according to the bank’s procurement policy, to complement internal resources ensuring quality project due diligence, implementation, and lessons mining.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Economics, Management, Social Sciences, or related field, preferably with Master’s degree or equivalent.
- 6-8 years of experience in development project management.
- Experience in project appraisals which includes conducting comprehensive due diligence on matters related to the project technical and financial requirement is required.
- Experience in conducting project portfolio monitoring and performance reviews is required
- Experience in any Multilateral Development Institutions is desired.
- Fluency in English and French languages is required.
- Building Relationships
- Client Centricity and Responsiveness
- Passion for Excellence
- Communication Effectiveness
- Problem Solving
- Stakeholder Management / Client Orientation
- Vendor Management
- Project Management
- Quality Management
- Contract Management
- Financial Management
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: Equivalent to ICSC 9
- Contract duration: Fixed Term.
Application Deadline: June 26, 2018.