The Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (FMARD) has been implementing the international Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD)- assisted Value Chain Development Programme since 2014 in six (6) participating States of Anambra, Benue, Ebonyi, Niger, Ogun and Taraba and in five (5) Local Government Areas each in all the States. In keeping with the provisions of the financing agreement between IFAD and Federal Ministry of Finance, the FMARD is implementation the programme through the national programme management unit.
Based on the progressive increase in workload of Staff and the need to further improve on Programme implementation, part of the credit will be applied to engage the services of an additional officer to enhance technical assistance at the state level.
Applications are therefore invited from suitably qualified candidates for the position below:
Job Title: Senior Agricultural Officer
Location: Anambra, Benue Ebonyi, Niger, Ogun, Taraba
- The primary goal of VCDP is to reduce poverty and sustainably enhance accelerated economic growth, whilst the specific programme development objective (PDO) is to increase the incomes and enhance food security for 45,000 rural poor households engaged in the production, processing and marketing of rice and cassava in the targeted LGAs of the six targeted States are enhanced on a sustainable basis.
- The Senior Agricultural Officer will assist in the overall management of the activities related to productivity improvement of smallholder farmers, Climate smart Agriculture and participatory Extension services.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in developing activities for the Annual Work Plans and Budgets (AWPBs) and consolidating of state annual work plans and budgets;
- Work with, extension service providers Training farmers in various aspects of crop varieties, agronomic practices, climate resilience, post-harvest measures and market orientation:
- Assist in promoting and disseminating sustainable agricultural practices through the FFS/FBS approach and spot extension visits;
- Assist community seed producers to establish a seed multiplication system comprising farms and seed cleaning and conditioning centres;
- Assist in setting up the overall distribution scheme of certified seeds/improved varieties, fertilizers,and herbicides as well as of equipment at state and LGA level;
- Liaise with other relevant programmes and technical departments in the public sector such as the Federal Fertilizer Department, the National Agricultural Seed Council, the National Root and Tuber Crop Research Institute, the National Cereals Research Center, and any other stakeholders such as llTA, Africa Rice, seed companies, agro-dealers at the Federal level; in the implementation of component activities
- Assist in formulation of TORs and scope of work for the service providers. Supervise, monitor and certify the work of service providers for the various activities and assignments; and
- Consolidate state progress reports and contribute to the drafting of periodic project progress reports of the PSO.
Qualifications and Experience
- A minimum of First Degree in Agricultural Sciences, Agricultural Production Agronomy, Horticulture.
- Minimum of 10 years post-qualification experience including at least 5 years in implementation of productivity enhancement projects using participatory approaches and gender mainstreaming.
- Proven record in the field of project implementation of productivity enhancement projects.
- Good writing skills and computer literacy will be an advantage.
- Working experience with International Donor Organizations will be an added advantage.
Conditions of Service
- Successful candidates will be engaged for a period of one year ONLY
- Candidates engagement is subject to renewal, which will be based on satisfactory performance upon evaluation and availability of funds.
Application Deadline: December 14, 2017.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Applications accompanied with detailed Curriculum Vitae and copies of credentials to:
FGN/IFAD-Value Chain Development Programme (VCDP) National Office,
No. 4 Batna Close,
Off Agadez Crescent,
Off Aminu Kano Crescent,
- Applicants should please indicate the position they are applying for at the top right hand corner of the envelope.
- The position is open to qualified persons including from the serving public Officers.