Oxfam is an international confederation of 17 organizations (affiliates) committed to creating a just world without poverty. In Nigeria Oxfam works in the areas of Economic Justice/Sustainable Livelihoods, Humanitarian Programming to save lives, Advancing Gender Justice and Good Governance, adopting a right based approach.
Locations: Lagos & Edo
- OXFAM-NASME (Nigerian Association of Small and Medium Enterprises) led Tax Compliance project is an intervention for Micro Small and Medium Scale Enterprises (MSME) whose goal is to enable them become tax compliant.
- Tax compliance in the MSME sector is a pertinent issue, as it is alleged to be fraught with an over estimation of the amount to be paid or the non-compliance of the MSMEs who see themselves as very small.
- Thus this has led to the need for a sensitization of the MSMEs to understand the requisites of tax, requirements of tax payment, as well as the benefits for being tax compliant.
- Owing to the fact that MSMEs are the engine of growth and catalyst for the economic transformation of a nation, there should be some form of concession and encouragements by the government to this sector.
- Some of such concession should include tax waivers, as well as a review of existing tax policies with respect to the MSME sector. An example of such initiative is the government’s introduction of VAIDS as an initiative which would serve as an incentive to spur tax compliance, however it has been observed that its impact in the MSME sector cannot be ascertained and MSMEs have seemingly not benefited from the intervention.
- Thus the OXFAM-NASME led tax coalition, which is a project to support 180 MSMEs (90 in Lagos State and 90 in Edo State) to enable them become tax compliant.
Objective of Voluntary Tax Consultant Engagement
- To support 180 MSMEs in Lagos and Edo States to file for tax with the relevant tax authorities.
Target of Voluntary Tax Consultant Engagement
- Tax filed for the MSMEs in Lagos and Edo States with the relevant tax authorities
The tax consultant is to:
- Use knowledge of tax and law principles to support MSMEs to be tax compliant, while minimizing their tax liability
- Support MSMEs to prepare and file tax returns
- Support MSMEs in taking advantage of the benefits of VAIDS (where applicable)
- Volunteer must be resident in either Lagos State or Edo State.
- Volunteer must have a professional profile or tax background relevant to the MSME sector.
- Volunteer must have at least 3 years’ experience in provision of tax consultancy services.
- Volunteer must have a minimum qualification of a Bachelor’s Degree/HND in Accountancy or other related degree.
- Volunteer should have a professional certification of ICAN, ANAN, ACCA, CITN, or any other relevant certification.
- Volunteer should be a member of a professional tax body/organization.
Application Deadline: 30th June, 2018.
- The Tax Consultant engagement is a Volunteer position.
- The project is targeted at MSMEs in Lagos and Edo States, thus the consultant should be resident in either of these States.
- The project time period and voluntary tax consultant engagement is 3 months
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.