RusselSmith is an industry leader in the provision of integrated oil field service solutions in Africa.
Position Title: Application Developer
Summary of Functions:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Responsible for designing, developing, delivering, and improving in-house software applications on a variety of platforms and systems.
• Maintaining systems by monitoring and correcting software defects.
• Working closely with other staff on the maintenance and performance of software systems and asking questions to obtain information, clarify
details and implement information.
• Finding and fixing faults in applications.
• Solving application problems in a timely manner.
• Ensuring proper version control and documentation of development activity.
• Developing user guides and providing varying degrees of software support.
• Making sure that applications can be run on existing and new hardware.
• Creating applications tailored to business needs to run on platforms/hardware.
• Delivering technical presentations/demonstrations of work.
• Researching, identifying and recommending new applications that would improve company operations.
• Applying proven analytical and problem-solving skills to help validate, verify, communicate, and resolve software application issues through
careful testing in order to maximize the benefit of RusselSmith’s IT investments and initiatives.
• Reports – Generating the required weekly, monthly, quarterly, bi-annual and annual reports and presentations based on applications
developed or improved on.
• Monitoring and managing databases for optimal performance
• Other duties as required by the Organization
A first degree in Information Technology, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or any related field.
Attention to Detail
Occasional travel by airplane and automobile in conducting business is necessary. Regular use of the telephone and e-mail for communication is essential. Sitting for extended periods is common. Hearing and vision within normal ranges is essential for normal conversations, to receive ordinary information and to prepare or inspect documents.
No heavy lifting is expected. Exertion of up to 10 lbs. of force occasionally may be required. Good manual dexterity for the use of common office equipment such as computers, calculator, copiers, and FAX machines.
Responsibilities may require evening and weekend work in response to needs of the systems being supported.
The job is performed indoors in a traditional office setting. Activities include extended periods of sitting and extensive work at a computer monitor.