Interswitch is an Africa-focused integrated digital payments and commerce company that facilitates the electronic circulation of money as well as the exchange of value between individuals and organisations on a timely and consistent basis.
Position Title: Database Administrator
- SQL Server is a relational database management system (RDBMS) from Microsoft designed for the enterprise environment.
- SQL Server adds a number of features to standard SQL including transaction control, exception and error handling, row processing, and declared variables.
- Being effective as a SQL Server Database Administrator (DBA) therefore requires a thorough understanding of SQL Server’s advanced capabilities and a corresponding level of technical acumen and sophistication.
- The DBA must work with application development and IT operations to help achieve a state-of-the-art environment that meets current and future business objectives, while at the same time ensuring that the company’s production databases offer the highest reliability and performance possible.
- The DBA will be responsible for the implementation, configuration, maintenance, and performance of critical SQL Server RDBMS systems, MongoDB and Oracle DBs, to ensure the availability and consistent performance of our corporate applications. This is a “hands-on” position requiring solid technical skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- The successful candidate will be responsible for the development and sustainment of all production Databases (monitoring, health, regular upgrades, patching and performance optimization) Database Warehouse, ensuring its operational readiness (security, health and performance).
- The DBA must be capable of working independently and collaboratively.
- Manage SQL Server databases, Oracle and MongoDB instances through multiple product lifecycle environments, from development to mission-critical production systems.
- Configure and maintain database servers and processes, including monitoring of system health and performance, to ensure high levels of performance, availability, and security.
- Apply data modeling techniques to ensure development and implementation support efforts meet integration and performance expectations
- Independently analyze, solve, and correct issues in real time, providing problem resolution end-to-end.
- Refine and automate regular processes, track issues, and document changes
- Assist developers with complex query tuning and schema refinement.
- Provide 24×7 support for critical production systems.
- Perform scheduled maintenance and support release deployment activities after hours.
- Share domain and technical expertise, providing technical mentorship and cross-training to other peers and team members.
Skills and Qualifications
- 5+ years experience in a similar position required
- Experience with Performance Tuning and Optimization (PTO), using native monitoring and troubleshooting tools
- Experience with backups, restores and recovery models
- Knowledge of High Availability (HA) and Disaster Recovery (DR) options for SQL Server
- Experience working with Windows server, including Active Directory
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Flexible, team player, “get-it-done” personality
- Ability to organize and plan work independently
- Ability to work in a rapidly changing environment
- Ability to multi-task and context-switch effectively between different activities and teams
- Knowledge of Big Data and data analytics will be an added advantage.
Application Deadline: Not Specified