The African Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET) is not for profit, networking alliance and service organization that brings together field epidemiology training programs (FETPs) across Africa working side by side with ministries of health, regional and international partners. AFENET works to strengthen epidemiology and disease surveillance capabilities of Africa countries that are critical to meeting the requirements of the integrated Disease Surveillance and Response (IDRS) strategy and the international Health Regulations (IHR).
AFENET is seeking the services of qualified candidates, to fill the position of a Field Coordinator/TB & Resource Mobilization under the HIV unit:
Position Title: Field Coordinator/TB & Resource Mobilization
Duration of Assignment: One year
Work Hour: Full time
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide technical and academic support on the HIV program and NFELTP:
- Identify HIV/AIDS and TB research priorities and Strengthening of HIV/AIDS related operational research of NFELTP including Residents’ thesis design, reviews and finalization.
- In collaboration with other advisors and the residents, design, plan, implement and evaluate projects on HIV/AIDS and other diseases
- Guide residents of the NFELTP program in preparing protocols and tools in the design and conduct of the FELTP practical outputs including study protocols, outbreak investigations and scientific write up with additional focus particularly HIV/TB related ones.
- Support residents to develop abstracts for national and international scientific conferences as well as presentations at NFELTP organized seminars.
- Support development manuscript for publication in peer reviewed journals.
- Assist in teaching didactic sessions of the program
- Support the delivery of Government and PEPFAR objectives in Nigeria and perform tasks /activities as may be assigned on behalf of AFENET by the HIV Program Advisor. These include (but not limited to) HIV data system strengthening, HIV/AIDS surveys, HIV assessments and evaluations.
- Review existing institutional resource mobilization strategy and plan, identifying key areas for adjustment/strengthening
- Conduct an internal assessment to ascertain the organizational core capacities and areas of competitive advantage
- Identify potential donors and map donors’ strategic areas of interest, requirements and funding guidelines
- Develop and update a Resource Mobilization Strategic Plan
- Review and regularly update donor mapping, identifying and notifying the appropriate programme teams about new grant opportunities for action.
- Coordinate the writing of grant proposals, providing technical input for proposals in areas of his/her expertise and put in place mechanisms to ensure all key internal stakeholders (programs, finance and administration) provide the required input in a timely manner for submission of a strong proposal
- Participate in representing AFENET Nigeria at external meetings with partners, funders and other stakeholders
- Perform tasks /activities as may be assigned on behalf of AFENET by Regional Technical Coordinator and the HIV Program Advisor
- Detailed workplan based on the TOR and key deliverables on HIV/TB and resource mobilization.
- Technical/process reports of HIV/TB and grant related activities/meetings
- Updated Resource Mobilization Strategic Plan for AFENET Nigeria
- Timely submission of grant proposals/response to funding opportunity
- Activity summary report for each proposal/response to funding opportunity written and submitted
- Bi-weekly resource mobilization meeting with AFENET Nigeria management
- Engage key technical staff in grant writing
- Set up a resource mobilization/grant writing unit in AFENET Nigeria and coordinate with regional and AFENET secretariat efforts
- Finalize and submit 1 grant per month
Qualifications and Experience
- First Degree in Medicine, Veterinary Medicine or related field with a Master’s Degree in Public Health in Epidemiology or related field.
- Post-graduate training through a field epidemiology training program or work experience in similar program is an added advantage
- Over 10 years’ experience in related duties
- Strong technical knowledge in public health, epidemiology, surveillance, disease outbreak investigation, data management including analysis and interpretation of data.
- Skills in Microsoft Office, Epi Info, SPSS and Stata
- Ability to communicate clearly in English language orally and in writing
- Ability to engage in successful interaction; extensive contact with members of government agencies and partners at national, state and local government levels
Application Deadline: April 18, 2018.
- Candidates should indicate the appropriate position in their application letter.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.