The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a non-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. We are currently recruiting for the position below:
Position Title: Legal Officer
Recruitment Type: National (3-year renewable contract)
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
- Assist in contract lifecycle management, including preparation, review, negotiation and advise on all research agreements (including donor agreements, partnership agreements, MoUs, research collaborations, consultancies, material transfer agreements, licensing agreements etc.) and other institutional agreements and contracts;
- Contribute to the development of implementation guidelines for and support the implementation of IITA Intellectual Property (IP) Policy and other Policies;
- Maintain and update the IITA Contracts/LegalManagement System/Database
- Assist in preparing, drafting and vetting all agreements
- Manage administrative and legal aspects in relation to project start-up and close-out
- Conduct due diligence, on partners prior to preparing, partner agreements, asset disposal etc.
- Contribute to the development and improvement of the Legal Unit including the implementation of new systems.
- Monitor finalization and submission/return of completed contracts, appropriate follow-ups and archiving of all research and other institutional agreements;
- Assist in the development of guidelines and templates for effective project start up and close out
- Assist with organizing and conducting workshops for partners and other IITA staff on legal and other related topics
- Support internal and external capacity development in project development and administration
- Carry other duties, properly assigned, as may be occasioned by the exigencies of the job
- A law degree (LLB), Law School degree (BL).
- Master’s degree in Law (LLM/MILD) and or MBA is an advantage.
The ideal candidate must:
- Have at least six year’s post-law school experience in legal practice in a busy environment, preferably in a corporate environment or an international non-profit organization
- Demonstrate good grasp of relevant laws including but not limited to Laws governing International non-profit organizations; Intellectual Property (IP) Law and related International Laws and Treaties, Labour Laws and Corporate Governance.
- Possess excellent communication, research, presentation and analysis skills
- Proactive and selfmotivated individual able to work with minimum supervision
- Be proficiency in basic Computer and Typing skills (Word,Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint) and knowledge of French will be an added advantage.
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.