The Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development [FMARD] is responsible for developing the agriculture sector of the Nigerian economy, with a view to growing the sector, driving income growth, accelerate food and nutrition security, generating employment and transforming Nigeria into a leading global food market, through the commodity value chain concept of the Agricultural Transformation Agenda (ATA).
Position Title: National Programme Coordinator
- The Federal Government of Nigeria has secured a loan from the African Development Bank (AfDB) Project ID No: P-NG-AA-003; for the implementation of Agricultural Transformation Agenda Support Programme Phase-I (ATASP-I). The ATASP-I will contribute to the objectives of the Agricultural Promotion Policy (APP) of the Federal Government by addressing the constraints of Rice, Sorghum and Cassava value chains in four staple crop processing zones of Adani-Omor, Bida-Badeggi, Kano-Jigawa and Kebbi-Sokoto.
- The Programme comprises three complementary and mutually reinforcing components viz: Infrastructure Development; Commodity Value Chain Development; and Programme Management. The specific objective of the programme is to contribute to food and nutrition security, employment generation, and wealth creation along the priority commodity value chains.
- The FMARD is re-constituting a National Programme Coordination Team (NPCT) at the Programme Headquarters in Abuja and some key zonal staff to effectively coordinate the ongoing activities of the project, Consequently, part of the proceeds of the ATASP-I loan will be applied to engage the services of the National Programme Coordinator at the Programme Headquarters, Abuja.
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Agriculture, Rural Development, Agricultural Economics, Agribusiness or a related field. A postgraduate qualification or proven specialized training in project management is desired.
- Minimum of 10 years post qualification experience in the coordination of AfDB and/or similar Multilateral Development Bank funded projects / programmes, with proven leadership, team building and effective communication qualities. Experience with community-based and/or small holder-oriented development initiatives desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate,and monitor his/her own workplan and those of subordinate staff.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and to make appropriate links in work processes and anticipate next steps.
- Excellent interpersonal and team building skills, including negotiation skills.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills in English
- Computer literacy with proficient knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point applications.
- Well-developed organizational skills.
- Thorough knowledge of Government and private sector institutional and organizational structures and operations in general. Experience In Nigeria is required.
Term of Appointment
- Successful candidates will be required sign a performance contract for one year initially, renewable every year subject to satisfactory performance.
- The performance criteria will be the indicators for assessing every officer.
Application Deadline: 30th November, 2018.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit ten (10) copies of his/her Application in one envelope. Each copy of the application should include a CV and an Application Letter/Cover Letter as to why they are best suited for the role being applied for.
All Applications should be addressed and delivered to:
The Permanent Secretary,
Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development,
Attention: The Head, Project Coordinating Unit,
No.1 Capital Drive, FCDA Secretariat,
Area 11, Garki,
- Applicants should ensure that the position applied for is clearly written on the “Top Right-hand” side of the envelopes.
- Applicants should also note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- Qualified women candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
- The position is open to serving public officers as well as other interested candidates with the requisite qualifications.